When you think of self care, what comes to mind? Spa days, massages, and chocolate cake?
You know what I think of? Moms. Sacrifice. Second place.
Okay, hear me out.
When you think of the spa days and massages and what not, do you ever think of why those things are so important? It’s because we have built this crazy hectic existence that doesn’t allow us anytime to just…breathe. And you know who does that best? Moms. See what I did there?
We’ve all heard the line, put your own oxygen mask on first and then help the person next to you. You know, the line we hear from flight attendants as we are reaching for our ear buds to restart the music or watch a movie on the plane?
But it’s completely valid. If you don’t take care of you, are are able to really take care of everyone else?
There is a difference between self care and self indulgence. Self care is doing the things that help you go from survive to thrive. Self indulgence, well, chocolate cake.
If you are taking care of your needs and trying to prioritize them over others, it’s not selfish. When you start taking care of a few of your needs, you actually are helping others. So, you’re welcome, others.
Here are a few examples:
Example: Working out
Excuse: I just don’t have time.
Truth: You may not have time for an hour every day, but you do have some time. And when you take that time, AFTER the workout you feel accomplished and confident and ready to take all those other people tasks on. It clears your head and energizes you. You’re welcome.
Excuse: No one has time to just sit on a pillow on the floor and do nothing!
Truth: By taking 5-10 minutes a day to sit still and breathe, you free your mind up from the chaos of the day to day, and that allows you to feel less anxious, and creates a path of focus for, again, those other people tasks.
Look, here’s the bottom line. When you take care of yourself throughout the week, you are going to feel better, which will help everyone in your circle feel better. Period.
- Rest. When I take care of myself and rest somewhat appropriately, which as some may know is one of my biggest struggles to achieve, I am more focused and present with my clients, my own workouts are better, and I am more easily able to sidestep that mid afternoon run to the coffee shop for anything that will spike my energy to get through the night (chocolate caramel sea salt candy…), and thus will continue to look and feel good.
- Breathe. By taking 10 minutes to focus, center, and reset your mind, you will be able to pivot with all the multi directional requests coming your way. I don’t mean pillow top meditation if that’s not your jam, sit still, try to feel your heartbeat, focus on your breath…DON’T fall asleep! Teehee
- Plan. Take a few moments the night before and lay out your clothes, set the coffee, check off those things that tend to mess up your morning, and get them out of the way if they’re quick and easy.
- Act. You know those things humming in the back of your head that you know you need to do but keep putting off because you just can’t even? Pick one and do it! You’ll be amazed how lighter the weight on your shoulders feels when it’s just done already.
- Say no. When you can, say no to those things that drain you. There are times when, for me, doing social activities are really draining. Not because I don’t like the people I’m with, but because I am an introvert and being alone is how I recharge.
- Lock the door. For those of you with kids who won’t even let you go in the bathroom for more than a minute without barging in, lock the door. When I think of how many times in a day I called my mom at work…I do not know how she didn’t take all of the phones with her every day. Or better yet, stay in your car for a few extra minutes and listen to the non noise…listening to a podcast for a few minutes, or your favorite song…
When your life is chaos, so is your energy. What if you just took a few minutes, every day, and cared about you?
Prioritize you. It’s not selfish. I repeat, it’s not selfish.
At the end of the day, when you take care of you, you’re taking care of all of the people around you too.